So I recently spent the weekend in Herber Springs, Arkansas at Greers Ferry lake. I can’t begin to tell you how much fun I had tubing, swimming, grilling and hanging out with my coworkers. Yes you heard me right; I spent the entire weekend with my coworkers. One of the physicians that I work for invited me and the rest of his immediate staff to spend the weekend at a lake house were he has previously visited with his family. So I packed an overnight bag and drove to Herber Springs Friday evening.
That night the kids caught frogs something I never did as a kid and played around the lake house. Once we put the kids to bed we cracked out the wine, Long Island iced teas and Cards Against Humanity.
Let me just say that I’ve never heard of Herber Springs or Greers Ferry Lake for that matter. And besides I would have never planned a trip like this myself. I’m a city girl and moreover a girly girl. Doing something that isn’t on my list of things to do is rare. Before this weekend if someone would have mentioned swimming in a lake my first thoughts would have been…. Aww heck naw, what about snakes, alligators and flesh eating bacteria!
I’m so glad the latter wasn’t true. This lake just so happened to be the best swimming experience I’ve ever had. Of course I love white sandy beaches off the coast of some island but the actual swimming part is a little tough for me. Not to mention the water. It just isn’t a pleasant experience when you end up with a mouth full of salt water.
Greers Ferry lake is absolutely amazing with warm clear waters. The water activities available are endless. You can swim, dive, jet ski, or do whatever your heart desires.
Oh and I jumped off a cliff for the first time in my life into this lake! Talk about team building.
The kids had a wonderful time too except when my 3 year old fell off the tube into the lake. She panicked and so did I for a split second. We were both wearing life jackets so I wasn’t really worried.
Nonetheless, I highly recommend giving this place a try. I think it’s a great summer getaway for families or groups. And it’s only a 2.5 to 3 hour drive from Memphis.
A few tips:
1. It’s easy to get lost driving at night. Unless you’re accustomed to driving in this area I wouldn’t recommend driving at night. There are no lights and in some areas no cellphone service. On the way there my GPS got me most of the way until I made a wrong turn. Have you seen the movie Get Out? Yea, well I knew I had to get off that secluded road with the quickness. It looked way to scary!
2. Unless you don’t mind the mark up of everything from water to ice. Bring your own nonperishable food items from home.
3. Bring plenty of sun screen and bug spray.
4. You can rent boats and jet skis at the marina. I suggest reserving them at least a day ahead of time especially if you have a large group.
5. There was WiFi at the lake house. The streaming is extremely slow so don’t expect to be plugged in the entire time.
All in all I’m so glad I spent time here. It’s always good trying something new. And who knew a beach was closer to Memphis than I thought.